Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Recent Orca Activity Update - NRs

Up north, the northern residents having been making frequent visits in the Johnstone Strait area. Today, OrcaLab was hearing "A" and "G" calls earlier and guessed that the A12s were in Blackfish Sound.
OH!!!
Speaking of Blackfish.......
I received my Blackfish Sounder last week! I thought I'd share some of the news!
I am sure we all know about the resident "baby boom" last year so I am going to start with the sad news first and end with all that's happy and cheery!
As we all know, A33 (Nimpkish) has sadly been presumed dead. We also know about L73 (Flash), but I didn't know about D15 (Geetla) until a couple of months ago.
G52 (Tatchu) and G54 (Glide) are both female. And I78 (Zayas) is a male, as well as B15 (Raven).
As for the new babies.....
A91 - Born to A62 (Misty)
A92 - Born to A67 (Eclipse)
A93 - Born to Blinkhorn (A54)
A94 - Born to A24 (Kelsey)
A95 - Born to A69 (Midsummer)
C29 - Born to Fin (C23) - Obviously now confirmed female :P
C30 - Born to Koeye (C10)
C31 - Born to C19 (Virago)
The DFO also mentioned a new D calf spotted with the Ds last year but there was no confirmation of the mother. It was also never mentioned in the Blackfish Sounder so who knows!
And I am sure everyone knows of the southern resident calves that are now named!
10 of the babies were born to females in the KWAP (Killer Whale Adoption Program). Over all last year there were 13 new calves born in the NR community and 5 in the SR community.
Outside of the adoption program, I have heard of I51's new calf born last year but that is it. If anyone knows who the other calves were born to please let me know in a comment! Thank you!
WHOOPS!!
I have known about this for months and I haven't posted it?!?!?!
The 2008 NR calves named by the KWAP are:
*Drum Roll!!!*
Cameleon (A88) - The fourth calf of A42 (Sonora)
Kanish (A89) - The first calf of A64 (Schooner)
Pine (A90) - The fifth calf of A35 (Skagit)
Nasparti (B17) - The second calf of B14 (Klaskish)
And we all know about K42 (Kelp) I am sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment